- Improves raw materials planning and procurement through accurate stock figures.
- Reduces stock and work-in-progress costs.
- Increases available warehouse space with reduced part pallets.
- Improves stock rotation.
- Improves efficiency through the elimination of paperwork and the use of barcode scanning.
- Improves picking accuracy and speed.
The use of radio data terminals (RDTs) and barcode scanners eliminates paperwork within the warehouse. The RDTs can be either a hand-held or truck-mounted device.
Functions of the warehouse management software include:
- Job scheduling for the warehouse operatives.
- Zoning of raw materials and finished goods.
- Utilisation of barcode facilities – SSCC, EAN.
- Location sequencing rules – aisle, rack, level.
- Customer shelf-life rules.
- Goods receipts – raw materials, finished products and third-party products.
- Pallet Management – CHEP, Loscam.
- Inventory management software reporting and a full audit trail of movements within the warehouse – when, who, what, where and why.
. . . plus extensive RDT routines:
- Pallet putaway – suggested locations.
- Sales picking.
- Vehicle loading and dispatch.
- Pick face replenishment.
- Pallet build/transfer.
- Inter-site transfer.
- Stocktake – full and PI.